Friday, August 06, 2010

The First Step...So I'm Told

Well...the inevitable finally happened I suppose. I had what I can only describe as an emotional meltdown and I'm now in therapy.

A couple of weeks ago I was visiting K, she just had her second baby, and we started to talk a little bit about how I was feeling. She works in the industry (so to speak) so she recognizes my depression before I even realize I'm in one, but this time she also introduced me to the word dysthymia. She explained to me what it was and it struck me as being true; Chronic mild depression with sleep disturbances and fatigue. That pretty much sums up my existence. I had myself convinced that because I was not unhappy, I was happy. (I'm sure I could just skim some old posts as proof.) She opened my eyes to the fact that they are not exact opposites. I still laughed and took pleasure in small things here and there, but most of the time I just felt blah. About everything. A switch went off, but I didn't really know it until my Psychologist asked what brought me to her. She kept asking what happened to make me call for help. I kept saying I don't know, I just knew I had to come, I've known for a long time and I just finally got up the courage. She said something specific happened to spark it all. Then suddenly that conversation came back to me and I remembered thinking that I had to get over myself and ask for help or I'd be depressed and alone for the rest of my life.

I realized that I needed to finally admit that my attempt to fix myself all these years was not working. Watching that tiny newborn asleep on my chest didn't exactly start the biological clock ticking, but it did get the desire for a shared life into the fire.

I have actually only had three sessions so far, but after the first two and before the third I was incredibly anxious, had stomach aches and couldn't sleep. I cried almost to the point of hyperventilation the first session, slightly less the second and kind of just quietly cried the third. I suppose that's progress. Most of the time I couldn't even tell you why I was crying, I just couldn't stop myself. (I've since come to the conclusion that I've been burying all my emotions for so long, now that I've opened the well it just keeps flowing.) I feel less anxious now, but I wonder if it'll come back before my next session. She actually recommended I see a psychiatrist for a consultation for medication after my second session because apparently most people feel relief after opening up. I bee-lined in the opposite direction. I am not thrilled with the idea of drugs but if the Psychiatrist also recommends it I won't fight it. At this point I might just do anything for a decent night of sleep.

I don't like it. Talking about myself (out loud to corporeal people, as opposed to you my dear readers). For many different reasons it makes me uncomfortable but K keeps telling me it's supposed to be hard. My therapist says the same thing, go figure. I knew it would be I just didn't realize how hard. Your own emotional health is a hard thing to be objective about. But in so many words, they both tell me that I'm doing well. Like a good friend K promises it will get better and I have no choice but to believe her. She has been on both sides of this therapy thing. I just hope it's relatively soon, I'm so emotionally exhausted right now I don't know which way is up.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness. I'm sure you're ok, but i cant help but be concerned.
Do you know why exactly you get that "blah" feelign most of the time? Sorry if i sound like another shrink. But that question is out of curiosity and concern of course,

Anonymous said...

I actually experienced the same thing. Therapy caused me to develop anxiety which I was medicated for. I am off the meds now though still have mild anxiety. In the end, I feel that therapy did help me as I made tremendous progress in dealing with certain issues of mine. I still go once a week.

jgo said...

I actually experienced the same thing. Therapy caused me to develop anxiety which I was medicated for. I am off the meds now though still have mild anxiety. In the end, I feel that therapy did help me as I made tremendous progress in dealing with certain issues of mine. I still go once a week.

Anonymous said...

Kudos! That is a great step! I wish everything does get easier for you and soon you find that motivation and excitement in you are missing. People who feel good about themselves and their lives are way more attractive. The extra energy is only a plus.
I also think I might be dysthymic. I studied Psychology (I know...) and tried the shrink once. Definitely did not get past the 1st date with this one either. I also have enormous amount of trouble talking about myself to actual human bodies. I hope I soon get the courage you have to take on therapy.

tya said...

I've tried therapy for anxiety and major depression for years. Sessions can be difficult and I find myself crying for reasons I can't really figure out myself. But it isn't always that way. And I have improved a lot over time in certain areas in my life. Like you I guess I also bury my emotions as there isn't anyone I feel comfortable talking to in my life. Anyway, good luck. You'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

V,

I'm glad you did this and although it's hard it's probably going to do you much good. You are going to conqueor this and win...I can almost guarentee it because your actions lately (with Red and now this) show you have the guts, and determination to take big risks in order to change and you are resilient to set backs. I'm rooting for u! Always think positivily no matter how many set backs may come.

G/W said...

I'm glad you got some help, V. I really hope your therapist can assist you in getting where you want to be. And of course it's going to be hard- probably one of the hardest thing you've ever had to do but you're on the third session and every session will get easier.
Over the past few weeks, I've been thinking about going to see a counselor myself. I never really considered it before because like you, I kept telling myself that I was "happy". I think you just gave me the push.

LYS said...

thank you all for your kind words and support! it actually makes me feel really good that though you are all strangers you are pulling for me. :) and i hope if i've inspired you to seek help that it works for you. i'm sure i'll be posting about its effects on me when i'm clear headed enough to write something intelligible!

daphne rose said...

just pray, everything will be okay!think positive=)