Saturday, March 29, 2008

"I've Given Up On You,"

the horse's mouth said.

What an odd saying.

But as it just so happens, that's where I heard it from:

It began as it usually does with us gossiping about family matters, the latest being another wedding. The conversation inevitably turned to me, not in an antagonizing way which it might seem written out, but in a way that made me laugh at my mother's logic and how she tries to talk herself into believing things when she clearly doesn't.

Mom: My friends always ask if you've found someone yet. I say no, but she found a place to live! That's what I tell them now.
QV: Oh?
Mom: Yes. I've given up.
QV: What does that even mean?
Mom: I have, I've given up on you.
QV: You have not given up on me finding someone.
Mom: You're not even looking!
QV: You know, you played a very big part in me being this way. What about all those years of, "you have to be self-sufficient"?
Mom: Well it's true! I was always worried about that...if something happened to your father what would I do? I wanted you to be able to support yourself if something happened to your husband.
QV: Can we talk about how insanely contradictive you are? You raised me on routine lectures about boys only wanting one thing and about being independent and then when I become a successful, single woman you complain? You were ahead of your time and yet completely stuck in it at the same time. You created a headstrong feminist without ever burning a bra.
Mom: I created a girl who just doesn't want anyone to invade her free time.
QV: That too. Now can you please just be happy with your masterpiece?

3 comments:

jgo said...

Interesting

Trevelyana said...

I recently told my mom I'm traveling to London, the first thing she says is "oh.. ya there're a lot of men there"

Anonymous said...

Yeah...I think my mom is regretting teaching her on to iron, cook, etc. at a young age.

The dog is now called the "grandchild"...

Yep...I feel your pain on this one.
They create independent children...and then complain when they don't require someone else.
Bah...