Saturday, December 02, 2006

Blind, Anonymous, Email Kind Of Set Up

A few months ago (possibly a year by now) my mother told me there was a man that auntie m wanted me to meet. He is the son of a friend of hers and he's a doctor. Mmmhmmm I said, that's nice. She asked if she could give him my email and I said yes mostly because what the hell else was I supposed to say without sounding like a complete ass? The details I received about him are as follows: He is of the same heritage of me, he's a doctor, he is divorced from a woman who is a magnificent bitch (most likely an embellished description provided by my mother) and has no time to meet women.

A little while later I received an email from a guy saying that auntie m gave him my email and that we should meet. I panicked. He wasn't supposed to want to meet me immediately! I thought we'd email a few times first. I didn't know how to respond so I just didn't.

Last week while among my mother's friends, the subject of auntie m's friend's son somehow arose again. Oddly enough, not by my mother.

auntie n: you know it's like i was telling l, you guys (as in me and her daughters) know what it's like. what that life (a doctor's life) is like. you lived it, you grew up with it. it's so out of character for auntie m i just want you to know that. she just doesn't do this kind of thing. but she wants the two of you to meet. and it would be good you know? because it's so hard for him to meet anyone, and i know it's hard for you too.
queenvee: nods
auntie n: i mean at the very least it's worth one date. just to meet him. i'm telling you it's so out of character for auntie m to even suggest this. he must really be a great guy....
queenvee: nods
auntie n: (continues on for about 10 minutes)

So now I'm stuck between wanting to meet him, if only to actually meet someone intended to be a potential connection, and knowing that knowing me I've probably already made all kinds of subconscious decisions about why it won't work because he's a doctor. Namely that I'll feel guilty when he makes time for me out of his busy schedule and I end up not being interested.

They can't give me time to think. No option to think. If they wanted us to meet they should have just planned it that way. I would have resented the intrusion but at least I wouldn't have any stupid preconceptions about anything.

Am I annoying you as much as I'm annoying myself?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go on the date! It's just one evening, and I seriously doubt you'll regret it.

Anonymous said...

i find it interesting that your mom didn't think anything of him being a divorced guy.

just go and meet him. or if you feel uncomfy, you could email him saying that you prefer to email more first before meeting up. and he should give you his pic. that might help if he's a total hottie :P

Amy said...

I know it would be better if you two had met naturally, but hey, he's busy. go have fun and be happy they want to set you up with a good guy!